Friday, October 23, 2009

When I'm 64





Ok, so I've been temporarily valet parking in Vegas at a medical center. ( I have to say "temporarily" for my own sanity. Hopefully I won't be doing it too long.) First off, I would like to note that I am very grateful for this job and for the fact that I even have a job at all in a city with 13 % unemployment rate. With that said, let me bash a little. Somehow in my more youthful days I was eluded to think that valet parking was fun and exciting....and maybe it was once upon a time. However, now that the shimmer is long gone, I see it for what it is: a job. And an unimportant one at that. I was happy to opt for a full time shift off of the strip at a medical center instead of a casino. It allows me weekends and holidays off and a 8-5pm schedule. I can't complain. Now instead of working with horny bad mouth guys, I get to work solo. And instead of drunk, cranky, obnoxious tourists- I get to deal with old, cranky, obnoxious patients. My only concern with this job (besides death by boredom) is my obligation to hand over the keys of these weapons they call cars to people who can't walk or even move their legs! I'm telling you- these folks shouldn't drive! Its so scary to see some old dude shuffle with a walker slow as mollasses at snail speed over to the driver's side. It automatically makes me feel like a nervous parent letting a 15 year old drive for the first time-except worse!! Rule of thumb should be- if you can't lift (with the strength of your arms helping lift them even) your legs into the car, you probably shouldn't drive. Anyway, other than that minor concern and strain on my conscience (not that I can even do anything about it) my job is relaxing and I have finished 3 books already in the two weeks of working there.....and I'm about to poke my eyes out. Gets kinda boring. But its a job, and I have it. I'm trying to work up some magic elsewhere, but for the meantime- its good readin' for me

7 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

Funny! Glad you're back blogging!

Stuart Humes said...

Yay! Let me say, you have been missed, especially when you start back with such an AWESOME post! You crack me up, so I guess some things never change. What part of town are you working in?

Karena said...

Okay, I am really thick! I didn't realize that all your post titles were Beatles songs! I mean, I did notice, but it didn't click until now!

Loved the post, but you better be careful. You never know if a patient from the medical center will be "blog stalking" you (as Lexie puts it), and let you know how upset they are and how EVERBODY is talking about it. Thought you might like the laugh!

Connie said...

Haha, yeah great post! I can totally imagine those old farts shuffling to their cars!

Vicki said...

Let's just say that it makes for some great "end of the day" conversation! She keep us in stitches over this stuff. She has found a new passion...people who SHOULDN"T be driving. Yep, she's ready to be a parent.

Amee said...

SOOOOoooOOOoooo funny! You ought to post daily for my sheer entertainment if nothing else. Loved it!

Karena said...

I went private. Email me and I'll send an invite.